Sunday 21 September 2014

FEA'S PETREL!!!

Every time someone asked me what bird I'd most like to see I would always reply with Fea's Petrel, though I didn't really expect to ever see one, and still thought that when one was reported off Flamborough this morning.

But then it was seen of Seaham. We couldn't resist. Once we got there we heard that it had been seen of Whitburn... Then St. Mary's. Surely we couldn't miss it?

There was an anxious wait and then behind a Sooty Shearwater, the FEA'S PETREL appeared. I almost felt like cheering as it flew north in great light. What a bird!! It was unmistakable with all the main features visible.

While we were there 6 Sooty Shearwaters also flew north, all pretty close in, as well as 7 Manx Shearwaters, 4 Mediterranean Gulls, 4 Pale-bellied Brent Geese and an Arctic Skua.


2 comments: